Monday, May 17, 2010

Bible trivial pursuit.

Growing up as a PK (Preacher's Kid), you get many unique opportunities that most other kids don't get to experience. As a for instance, Bible Trivia. An adaptation of the popular trivia board game "Trivial Pursuit", maybe you have heard of it. And, yes, there is an "app" for that.


I don't remember much about the game, other than you had to be a bible scholar to know any of the answers. My "phone a friend" would have to be Billy Graham, and "asking the audience" probably wouldn't help since I don't think most congregations could answer half of the questions. [I think "Who Wants to be a Bible Scholar?" could catch on in Churches and in religious circles! Maybe Dr. Dobson could host? (or Pat Buchanan, purely for entertainment value)] Anway... Even I, with a lifetime of "religiously" attending Sunday school (perfect time to use that little cliche, huh?), couldn't come close to answering except for some of the softballs like "Who did David kill with a sling?". Playing Bible trivia against a preacher is, let's just say, slightly against the odds, and I don't recall ever winning. I was a sucker for games, though, so I always tried. Now that I think about it... it was probably just my dad's way of getting back at me for beating him at chess. "Who was Asenath's famous husband?", "Who was Mary's oldest brother's farmhand?", "How many rungs were on Jacob's ladder?", "How many times did Isaac's goat stub his toe on the way to the watering hole?" How can a 6 year old answer these?!?!?!!! "What was Jesus's name?" I can handle that one! I think my parents still have it somewhere. I'll have to break that out again whenever I start feeling too proud. For now, I will stick to "Chutes and Ladders" and other simple games I can cream Kennedy at. We are trying to teach her humility. Just Kidding!!!
Well, until next time, always go for the yellow pie piece first.
Transmission terminated.

3 comments:

  1. Way to out your nerdiness honey. Chess, Bible Trivia and yellow pie pieces. Hmmmm. Impressive. I have never played that game and somehow I think that might be something in and of itself to be proud of. Twas an interesting read....

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha this post made me laugh out loud! And I DEFINITELY think we need to bust it out next time i visit!!!! No more of that querko or qirko or whatever the heck that other game is called. Afterwards we can do Sunday School Sing-A-Long with some of my all time favorites (deep and wide, fishers of men, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a PW (pastors wife) offers its share of opportunities as well...hehe Chess was cool. It taught you a lot. I don't remember playing Bible Trivia (I probably opted out with an excuse so I wouldn't appear so dumb) Enjoyed reading your blog, love the humor and love you!

    ReplyDelete